Dennis was named an “All American Town” in 1978. The villages of East Dennis, Dennis and South Dennis feature historic districts dating back to whaling times, while tree-lined streets wander through Dennis Port and West Dennis.
Town of Dennis, 90 Bob Crowell Road, South Dennis
Dennis Chamber of Commerce, 242 Swan River Road, West Dennis
- Northside beaches on Cape Cod Bay include:
- Chapin Memorial
- Cold Storage
- Harbor View
- Howes Street
- Southside beaches on Nantucket Sound include:
- Depot Street
- Glendon Road
- Inman Road
- South Village
- West Dennis.
Beach stickers are required from Memorial Day to Labor Day weekend. For more information about beach locations and regulations: www.dennischamber.com/beaches.
- Dennis Historical Society, PO Box 607, South Dennis – Website lists museums, historical sites and markers.
- 1736 Josiah Dennis Manse Museum, 77 Nobscusset Road, Dennis – Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the museum was built in 1736 for Rev. Josiah Dennis, for whom the town was named. There is a maritime room with a diorama of the Shivereck shipyard and items related to the days of clipper ships. 508-385-2232
- 1801 Jericho Historical Center, Old Main Street, West Dennis – Historic house built in 1801 by Captain Theophilus Baker. Exhibits of antiques, glassware, costumes, tools, and driftwood. 508-394-0206
- 1867 West Dennis Graded Schoolhouse and Maritime Museum, 67 School Street, West Dennis – Museum highlights local sea captains, their ships, tools and stories. Site features an 1860s school room. Scargo Tower, Scargo Hill Road, Dennis Village – Began as a tourist observatory in 1874. The wooden structure was first destroyed by a gale in 1876 and after being rebuilt, burned to the ground in 1900. The current cobblestone structure opened in 1901. On a clear day, the view from atop the 30-foot tall tower is from Provincetown on the Outer Cape to Plymouth on the west.
Arts and Entertainment
- Cape Cod Museum of Art, 60 Hope Lane, Dennis – Art galleries, sculpture garden, year-round classes, and unique gifts by local artists in the Gift Shop. 508-385-4477, www.ccmoa.org
- Cape Cinema, 35 Hope Lane, Dennis – For more than 80 years, a unique venue for movies, performances and live music. Specializes in independent American and foreign films, simulcasts of the Metropolitan Opera and National Theatre, and live music performances. Shares 26-acre grounds with Cape Cod Museum of Art and Cape Playhouse. 508-385-2503, www.capecinema.com
- Cape Playhouse, 830 Main Street/Route 6A, Dennis – Has been bringing professional Broadway actors to Cape Cod since 1927… “Where Broadway Goes to Summer.” Declared to be the oldest professional summer theatre in America by the Actors’ Equity Association.Box Office: 508-385-3911, Business Office: 508-385-3838, www.capeplayhouse.com
- Eventide Theatre Company, 713 Main Street/Route 6A, Dennis – Produces three stage productions per season plus concerts and both songwriting and playwriting competitions. 508-398-8588, www.eventidearts.org
- Entertainment Cinemas, Patriot Square, 2-6 Enterprise Road, South Dennis – Twelve-screen movie theatre. 508-394-4700, www.entertainmentcinemas.com/locations/southdennis
- Cape Cod Rail Trail – Bike or walk through six Cape towns from Dennis to Harwich to Wellfleet on this 25-mile paved trail. www.mass.gov/locations/cape-cod-rail-trail
- Dennis Pines Golf Course, 50 Golf Course Road, East Dennis
- Dennis Highlands Golf Course, 825 Old Bass River Road, Dennis, 18- hole courses with pro shop and lessons. 508-385-8347, www.dennisgolf.com
- Cape Cod Baseball League/Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox – “Where the Stars of Tomorrow Shine Tonight” – Summer schedule for 10 teams of players hoping to make it to the Major Leagues. www.ydredsox/pointstreaksites.com
Other Points of Interest
- Dennis Public Library, 5 Hall Street, Dennis. 508-760-6219, www.dennispubliclibrary.org
- Dennis Memorial Library, 1020 Old Bass River Road, Dennis. 508-385-2255, www.dennismemoriallibrary.org
- Jacob Sears Library, 23 Center Street, East Dennis. 508-385-8151, www.jacobsearslibrary.org
- South Dennis Library, 389 Main Street, South Dennis. 508-394-8954, www.southdennislibrary.org
- West Dennis Library, 260 Main Street, West Dennis. 508-398-2050, www.westdennislibrary.org