There are endless ways to spend time in Provincetown…art galleries, whale watching, dune tours, kayaking, nature and biking trails, history museums, plus strolling the streets for shopping, eateries and people watching. In 2020, Provincetown will commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ landing in Provincetown Harbor in 1620.
Town of Provincetown, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown
Provincetown Chamber of Commerce, 307 Commercial Street #5, Provincetown
- Provincetown has two ocean beaches operated by the National Park Service. Herring Cove Beach and Race Point Beach both lie within the Cape Cod National Seashore. Both charge a parking fee during the summer months. The town beach is located on the bay/harbor side on the east end of town.
- Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum, 1 High Pole Hill, Provincetown – The 252-foot high monument commemorates the history of the Mayflower Pilgrims. The museum highlights the town’s maritime history, the building of the monument, and the early days of modern American theater in Provincetown. 508-487-1310, www.pilgrim-monument.org
- Provincetown Art Association and Museum, 460 Commercial Street, Provincetown – PAAM provides art exhibits, a museum, cultural events, and a school of art. 508-487-1750, www.paam.org
- Whydah Pirate Museum, 16 MacMillan Pier, Provincetown – See pirate treasures from the Whydah, a sailing ship commanded by pirate Sam Bellamy that wrecked off the coast of Wellfleet in 1717. 508-487-8899, www.discoverpirates.com
Arts and Entertainment
- Provincetown Theater, 238 Bradford Street, Provincetown – Promotes and sustains performing arts on the Outer Cape by offering community based and professional theater, theater classes, and a children’s theater program. 508-487-7487, www.provincetowntheater.org
- Provincetown Film Society, 237 Commercial Street, 5th Floor, Provincetown – This non-profit is dedicated to showcasing new achievements in independent film as well as the works of acclaimed and emerging directors, producers and artists. Sponsors the annual Provincetown International Film Festival. 508-487-FILM (3456), www.provincetownfilm.org/society
- Waters Edge Cinema, 237 Commercial Street, 3rd Floor inside Whaler’s Wharf, Provincetown – movie theater. 508-487-FILM (3456), www.provincetownfilm.org/cinema
- Cape Cod National Seashore/National Park Service, 99 Marconi Road, Wellfleet – Learn about ocean beaches, biking through the dunes, the old life-saving station, bird-watching and ranger talks in Provincetown and other areas within the Cape Cod National Seashore. 508-255-3421, www.nps.gov/caco
- Walking/Hiking/Biking – Check website for a complete list of hiking and biking within the National Seashore. www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/guide-to-trails.htm
Other Points of Interest
- Provincetown Public Library, 356 Commercial Street, Provincetown. 508-487-7094, www.provincetownlibrary.org